Monday, October 20, 2008

Day Two

A Sewing Confession:
Now the first confession was I'm a terrible project procrastinator. Now the second confession is when I sew, I like to wear a baseball cap backwards. It keeps my hair out of my face and helps me focus. It's not the most attractive look, but I always feel in the sewing/designing groove when I place the cap on.
It's Monday Night and after making a couple of alterations to the pattern (only needed 1" of length, not two, and shortened the shoulder length a little.) I began cutting out the fabrics. First the lace, then the satin. I had to cut the bodice pieces twice - one for the fabric and the other for the lining. I still have a third time, cause it requires underlining.

Now it may not look like it, but cutting out the pattern pieces takes a long time.

I'm getting kind of tired, but I still have the skirt pieces.
Oh, boy. What do you do when the pattern piece is so big, not all of it fits on the table?
Start pinning one side and roll as you go.

Another question: How do you know when it's time to quit?

When you run out of pins?
Guess Not

How about when there is definitely no room on the cutting table for the last skirt pattern?

Nope, just keep rolling.
(By the way, my sewing professor taught me to never let the fabric hang over the table when I am trying to cut out pattern pieces. Oops, well I've already broken my #1 rule about not sewing after 7p.m. What's another one?)

So when do you stop?

Well, when you get to the top of the last pattern needing pinning and find you're 1 1/2 inches short of fabric and will have to unpin the whole thing and re-adjust everything.

Ya, that's when it's time to walk away girl
just let it go and go to bed.

4 comments:

Marble Madness said...

Way to go! I'm proud of you for working hard. By the way, are there supposed to be more pictures that aren't showing up?

Amy Marble said...

I'm loving the hat on backwards to get into the sewing groove. That's great.

Danyelle Ferguson said...

When I have really big pieces of fabric, I lay it out on the floor. If you vacuum first, it should be lint free. :)

BTW - Love the hat!

PS - I just finished cutting out my fleece stockings. Yeah!

Katy said...

I love the pictures! Especially the baseball cap--you are awesome my Amy friend! Can't wait to see some pics of the finished product!