Saturday, October 18, 2008

Two weeks till Halloween ... So do you think I'll make it .. I've got my doubts

I'm not entirely sure, but I believe my first mistake was opening up the envelope and pulling out the instructions. Labor Day weekend, my Aunt and Uncle brought their daughter up to BYU. And with them came 20 yards of fabric and request to make a costume for my cousin. She's always wanted a dress in this style. (think Marie Antoinette) and they got an awesome deal on the fabric. So would I? Now in all fairness, I was forewarned before they arrived and I thought, there is no way I can sew a costume at this time, every Saturday in September is booked. I'm really busy. And when I was shown the pattern (not the one shown in picture) I really knew I couldn't do it. It called for 20 yards of fabric, and it had huge "walk through doors sideways" hips. You know the style. And the instructions didn't make sense at all, Hook and eyes in the front and laces in the back?? Ok, going for authentic are we? Can you start to see how I got pulled into it. Yep, I started analzing how it could be done differently and easily and ... I should of known I was getting into trouble when I went online and found a McCalls pattern that was the same style but so much simpler.
Now I only have two weeks left, I knew if I didn't get it started today, I would never make it by Halloween. Even now, with two weeks, it's a big question mark. I knew my cousin was long in the torso so I added 2" to the length of the bodice pieces. I wanted to make sure the bodice fit, and also to make sure the neckline wasn't too low. So I cut the bodice pieces out of muslim to make a fitting shell.


As I was sewing this together, I kept saying, it's a costume, it's a costume, don't over anaylze, or try to make it completely perfect. It's a costume, it's ok if it's not completely perfect. So I'm posting today's results. Not very far, considering what I have ahead of me. Oh, well she knows I may not get it done in time for Halloween, so I shouldn't be stressed for time. Except having it around for a month already, I don't want to have it hanging over my head for another month. I'll try to keep you updated with the process. Hopefully it will make me stay on track.

Anyway, getting the bodice done will be the hardest part, right??? it has the most details, the rest should be pretty straight forward ..... I hope

Oh why didn't I stick to my "no" answer, I'm sure I said "there wasn't any possible way" at least 5 or 6 times. The problem was I was saying it to them, next time I should say it to myself and then DON'T OPEN THE ENVEOPLE!!!!!

5 comments:

Amy Marble said...

You CAN DO IT!! Can't wait to see the finished product!

Danyelle Ferguson said...

Girlfriend - you waited WAY too long to start this project! You are going to be soooo burned out by Halloween, you won't even want trick-or-treaters to come to your door. You poor thing. Just keep reminding yourself that it's a costume - not a designer dress for a royal ball. :)

Good luck!!!

Marble Madness said...

If anyone can do it, you can. And just think of having another period sewing project to add to your portfolio.

And you don't really care about trick-or-treaters, do you?

Good luck.

R and C said...

WHERE IS MY BLANKET?!?!?!?!?

Amy said...

For Everyone: Thanks for your encouragement.

Danyelle: Emily's right I really don't care about trick or treaters Halloween isn't really up there on favorite holidays. (cringing a little) Sorry, hope we can still be friends. :) But I am worried about being burned out for Christmas.

Rachel: AHHHHHHHHH Sadly it's the same place it's been for the last two years