Sunday, February 1, 2009

A Lovely Bag with a Confession

So this is a bag I made a couple of weeks ago. I was feeling the itch to do some sewing and I really "needed" a bag to hold my knitting supplies. Actually I've got a ton of bags already but none of them quite worked. Or so that was my rationalization. Anyway after spending several days digging through my fabric stash and covering the guestroom with all my options, I had the print I wanted but not a solid. (I have to mix and match fabrics, I have a hard time just using one). Still not completely happy, I decided to go and take a look at my "clothes" fabric boxes, which basically hold fabric best suited for ... you guessed it clothing. That's where I found some green/grey material already cut for pants but definitely destined for a higher purpose. The two went so well together. I was thinking the print for the outside and the pocket and the twill for the lining and the bottom of the purse.

McCall's Pattern Pieces and a second Challenge (the first was choosing the fabric duh)
There wasn't enough twill to cut out for lining (Piece #4)
And McCall's design, although nice, didn't really fit my "image" of what I wanted.

My Interpretation of McCall's Pattern Pieces
Since there wasn't enough of the twill for the lining and I really REALLY wanted those two fabrics together, I decided to cut about 3" off the bottom of the bag, making that piece out of the twill, added more visual and physical weight to the bag. I also chose to stick with an off white muslin for the lining, which I have plenty of. Oh but I didn't stop there. That square pocket was going to be quite inadequate for my purposes.

TA DUM
My new and improved pocket with several different sized pockets.

See how it works so well to hold those future knitting projects.
What it generally looks like, can you see why I had to redesign the bag. I just couldn't image having only that print for the bag, the twill adds such a nice dimension and it gave me a wonderful opportunity to add top stitching. Top stitching and edge stitching adds a nice dimension and finishing touch to most projects.

And that is all of the pictures because it was about this time I got more interested in sewing the bag then documenting it's progress. That and my sewing machine is in a dungeon and all the pictures turned out too dark to see any details (see last picture) The first four pictures were taken upstairs where I cut everything out (and no I was not about to run upstairs after every step, I love you guys but not that much)

What I love most about this bag is the color/pattern coordination. Before I chose the green twill, the leaves pattern looked like it was Grey, but next to the twill, they looked more green. I also really liked the purple/violet flowers and wanted to emphasize them, so I chose to top stitch in a dark purple. From far away it looks like black but up close it complements the violet flowers and the green twill marvelously. I just love to stare at how the colors play with each other. ( I love color especially with fabrics, which is one reason I've never considered working in a Bridal Shop-my creative sensibilities demand color.... and less expensive fabric)

Now for the confession: It's too big for the knitting project I was thinking of and ..... super smart Amy with her pocket design didn't think about how the bag would be worn. The pocket stretches from seam to seam right? Well the purse slips over the arm with one seam against the hip. Which means if there's a whole lot in the pockets, that purse just ballons out from my waist (and trust me my waist doesn't need anymore "visual" weight. Ah nuts!!!!

I love it anyway and have used it for a purse, although don't ask me to find anything in it too quickly. Although it does have an annoying habit of slipping off my shoulder (a purse characteristic that makes me crazy!) So if my knitting skills ever move onto sweater level, then I've got the perfect bag to hold all that yarn. In the mean time, it's still cool to look at.

2 comments:

Amy Marble said...

Way to go Amy!! One of these days - I need a lesson in pillow making!! I'm sure you would be a great one to help out this sewing challenged person!! It was good to see you guys on Saturday even if it was just a short visit.

Amy said...

It would be fun to get together. I have a couple of pillow forms needing cases too. Maybe they might get done if we did them together?