Friday, February 20, 2009

What a Reading Week!

Can you tell about when I started feeling sick? According to my reading list on the left, I basically started getting sick around the 12th and 13th. Being too sick to do anything and hating to sit in front of the television all day, reading is the best alternative. Of course I chose GLH because she's very good at distracting me from my pains and are quick reads. After 3 of those I've about had it, and was in desperate need of something that would make me laugh. So I chose Ron Carter and his comedies centered in Idaho, both quick day reads. Starting to feel better around the 18th, had enough of television so I decide to read a loaner from my sister. I'm always sceptical about recommendations, mainly cause I'm such a picky reader. So I figure she deserves this after the hard sell she had in getting me to even take it home with me. It was fantastic and I add my recommendation to hers. It takes place after World War II, in England. It's written as a series of letters between the characters, with an woman writer as the main recipient. It maintains a pleasant tone throughout while still allowing the seriousness of what occured with German occupation and bombing to come through to the reader. Definately a step or two above what I had been reading. The characters are quite enjoyable although some of the sub-characters can be difficult to remember, there's so many introduced.

Now having caught up my reading list, I think I need to try a more differcult read, something that isn't completely finished in a day or two; something that makes me take it slow. Which is funny cause that was what I was trying to figure out a week ago before I went down sick.

2 comments:

Marble Madness said...

THANK YOU!!!

YES!!! So does this mean you're going to trust me more often?......Prob not, but is okay. I loved it too. Such a good book! I was super excited for the ending and thought it was really cool!

Anywho, thanks for the credit! ;)

Sonja said...

I have started reading mysteries, I usually look for "christen" mysteries, because there is so much garbage out there. I don't like "dark" mysteries I look for humor in them. I found an author that I really liked, I would recomend her, but there is a problem. . . . . I found her by randomly searching the shelves at the main library, returned the book to another library (they let us do that here) thought of course I will remember. . .forgot, went back to main library only to discover they are remodling for the next 6 months! I have searched the shelves at the other library hoping, my memory will kick in. . . .when it does, I will let you know, I think you would like these books, they are quirky, clean, and enjoyable. Love you.