Friday, May 7, 2010

Designing & Finishing

One Sunday in April, I was wondering what I should sew next. I started doodling on some paper and came up with four different ideas. Now this isn't too unusual because my files are full of scratch paper ideas. As I finished sewing a project this afternoon, I realized the uniqueness of this design brainstorm session. Over the past few weeks, I have completed 3 of the 4 ideas. I believe that is a first, at least that I can remember. What's really great is I found an item I needed to complete the 4th item, so that could very well get done this next week. (We'll see)

So #1 is my own design - A Necessity Pouch to carry in my purse(s)
I have a number of small items that I like to keep in my purse. They don't often get used but sure are helpful when I do need them, such as Kleenex, aspirin, lip balm, ... etc. I don't like them rolling around and most pouches would take some but not all. I figured they needed to be all together yet required different "holding" capacities.

So I came up with a pouch that holds the Kleenex on one side for easy access A pocket on the other side.With a zippered section in between that holds the lip balm, aspirin, and other small items.It's a little rough and the pattern needs some more tweaks
but the finished pouch works rather nicely for my needs.
I'm also really pleased that I finally worked and finished one of my own designs.

#2: Tote bag - for bigger books ;)
This pattern primarily came from Lexie Barnes "sew what! Bags" book. It's a great resource to get designing and making one's own bags. (I used the "Tool Tote" instructions)Brown and Lime green fabric. I just fell in love with this home dec fabric from Jo-Anns. I found some lime green with brown polka dots for the lining. I love how the handles look but wish I had chosen a stronger material. It's too soft to handle with two or three books in there.
(no pun intended ... ok maybe a little pun was intended)

InsidePockets along one side.

And a cute little pocket on the other. It's perfect for lip balm and cough drops.
(Is it obvious that I live in a dry state?)
Now for the down side, I made this to carry a binder and a couple of books but this makes it too heavy. I blame the handles, along with being too lightweight, they are long enough to sling over the shoulder but cut in to the shoulder if the bag is heavy. I'll use it for now but will probably move it over to a knitting/crochet bag. (Yarn is bulky but not heavy)

#3: Billfold - aka Checkbook Cover
My checkbook cover has finally given out after 11 years.
In my idea files I had a couple of instructions on how to make a checkbook cover, one from about.com and another from sewingmamas.com . Both pretty simple, but if I was going to make one, I had a couple of design changes to make.
Most importantly, I wanted a place for a pen and pencil!

Outside Recognize the fabric?
The Brown ribbon tie was a last minute addition. I'm liking how it closes everything up nice and snug but am not sure how annoying it may be getting in and out. So we shall see if it stays or gets cut later.
With all the layers, binding the edge was the best chose to finishing the raw edges.

InsideRibbons to hold the check register pages, now I can get rid of the paperclip I've been using all these years. I wasn't sure which side I would have the register on so I put ribbon on them both just to be safe.
You have no idea how happy those pen and pencil pockets make me.

Looking over this post, I realized something ... I really hate digging for pens. ;)
Oh, and fabric makes me happy!

No comments: