Thursday, July 31, 2008

Storage Storage Storage

Well I feel very boring these days. I keep looking at my post and silently yelling in my head, "What? nothing new! Come on Amy you've got to have something you can post" Well here is what I've got, ... for what it's worth.






I have a ton of sewing stuff, as many of you know. I also am a licensed cosmetologist and keep all my supplies in a large plastic tub. This gets pulled out every time I have to do a perm. I have to dig through so much that for a while I've been keeping my eye out for a better storage container. A few years ago around Christmas, my mom asked what I would like and being frustrated with the current arrange of my perming rods, I told her, "Storage drawers to hold my hair supplies. I'm tired of digging into this tub every time I need something". And being the wonderful mother that she is, I got myself a wonderful set of drawers,- two narrow on top with two huge on bottom. It was perfect ..... for my sewing supplies and fabric ;) Mom's response, "Hey, didn't I get that so you could use it for your perm rods, curling irons, coloring ... stuff?"
"Yes, but see it's so much more perfect for patterns, sewing doodads, odds and ends and fabric ... stuff."

So once again both of us began keeping an eye open for a better storage solution. Well, two weeks ago I came across a 5- drawer cart at Big Lots. And it looked perfect. The drawers were just the right size to separate perm rod sizes. So of course, .. I walked away. It wasn't part of the budget... blah blah blah.. Anyway, I would have to think about it and really decide if I needed it.

Last Saturday after work, I finally decided I was going to buy it and stop thinking so much ... if it was still there. So I did and it was and then it happened. After I brought it in to the house, I made the mistake of setting it down next to a pile of fabric and sewing doodads. (shaking head now) Thankfully, I didn't have time to do anything but put a few sewing items in one of the drawers. I went to visit with family and eat dinner. Later that evening after everyone had gone, I came in and the injustice of the last "sewing storage drawer steal" was so strong that I pulled everything out and got the hair supplies, and proceeded to fill the drawers with perm rods, end papers, bobby pins, etc. And it really looked good, so good that the pile of sewing stuff was told it would just have to wait and be content with file boxes.

Now that's not all. Being in a organizing frame of mind, I showed my mom and she told me of a storage cart that she had seen at Costco that may work for me. So Monday after work, both of us went and I stared at it and wondered and decided "What the the hey" let's just see how it works." So two storage carts in 3 days. This one had a metal frame work and small plastic drawers that were different colors - blue, red, orange, purple, white, and green. cool huh! So of course that could only mean one use - color coordinate my scraps and put them in each drawer. And the design was better suited for my sewing stuff, because the metal frame work matched a shelving unit I have for my boxes of fabric, yarn, and patterns.






Now we shall see if I can get some pictures to work. Now these aren't the exact units I got, but close enough. Right?
Top Unit - drawer sizes are more close to the hair supply drawers
Middle Unit - Arrange and general look, just visualize 5 drawers the same size as the first picture - Now when I set up my hair cutting corner I have a cart to wheel around for working with.
Last Unit (Sewing)- same brand - mine has ten drawers instead of twenty. Although now that I've seen this one, it's mighty tempting because with the size of those drawers, it won't take long for my scraps to push out of them. But at $80.00 I can just sew more and organize less. (My 10 drawer version only cost $20.00, I might just go back for a second one... of course where either one is going to fit is another question) Ya, sew more, organize less.... good plan

4 comments:

Danyelle Ferguson said...

Ooh. I really like the rainbow looking cart. It's totally cute. And yes, you need to be more organized, Amy. Cause face it, you just aren't organized enough. :)

Amy Marble said...

I'll have to check out your new storage arrangements. I'm a sucker for a good "rubbermaid". I have way too many around the house, but I LOVE to be organized too. Maybe it's the name - we have a sickness! j/k

Katy said...

haha! I love it! Getting things organized is the best!

Katie said...

Ooo! I love the costco one!