Sunday, November 23, 2008

"The Gentle Art of Domesticity" Jane Brocket




I usually read a book rather quickly. But with this one, I took it a little slower, finishing it three weeks after beginning it. In the previous post I tried explaining it and didn't do a good job so here I am taking another shot at it.

First in Jane's Words:
" I was wondering how to explain what I believe is the key to the gentle art of domesticity. For me it is recognition - recognition of the worth of homemaking, of overlooked skills, of ordinary things. Above all it is the recognition of the small but significant moments that all too often go unnoticed in the general speed and melee of daily life. In order to enjoy domesticity, we need to cultivate a habit of stepping back every so often to pause and observe and enjoy, and allow these moments to crystalize .... " pg. 274

Just one example of recognizing Domesticity:
While reading Jane's book, I realized why I love Grace Livingston Hill's books so much. After all these years, they still draw me in but not for the same reason. They are packed with the "gentle art of domesticity". This last month I was in the middle of one, when I looked up and told my mother and grandmother (who was visiting at the time) that I needed a "workbasket". My mother looked at me like I had lost it and said "Workbasket? what are you talking about?" I then explained how in the book, the characters were moving into a house and were "setting up housekeeping"(making me envious). GLH described everything about what they were shopping for and how they were arranging everything, even down to the maid's room ... which included a workbasket. Now this made me realize it wasn't the first time GLH mentioned workbaskets. Now workbaskets don't play any role in the story but act more as background kind of like the furniture and set for plays. The mother figure will pick up her knitting that's sitting by chair (in her workbasket) and patiently work on it while entertaining a rather irritating visitor. And since I'm learning to knit ... I need a workbasket!!! They are also handy for holding sewing, mending ...

Mom's response: "Well then, you've already got plenty of workbaskets"

Mine: "No, I've got work plastic bags, and work filing boxes, and even work piles but no real "work basket". Then for backup and to prove that I wasn't completely making this up, I asked my grandmother if she knew what I was talking about, "Oh, ya, growing up we had our workbasket". Of course she didn't go into further description, which I wish she had; but my point was made.

Long example I know, but being able to recognize and even define "the gentle art of domesticity" for yourself adds so much richness to your life as it has done for mine (such as the value as something as ordinary as a basket). After every chapter, I would just sit and savor the thoughts and images she presented and what I could add from my own experience. I highly recommend reading this book, maybe then you're be able to do a better job of describing it's merits then I have.

PS: Hey I just notice my picture illustrates my example perfectly, see the box, plastic bag and pile. Oh how I need a basket!!! The funny thing is as I've been in different stores with my mom, we have begun looking at baskets and discussing the different aspects that need to make up the proper "work basket". Haven't found the right one yet. ;)

2 comments:

Amy Marble said...

When you find the right basket let me know. I think I could use some baskets for all of the projects I seem to be in the middle of! How are all of the projects coming along? Thanks again to you and your Mom for watching the boys on Friday. They had a good time with you and loved the cookies!

Amy said...

The projects are coming slowly but surely. I'm glad the boys had fun, it was nice to play with them for the morning.