Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Knitting

My first knitting project

I used a Forest Green wool yarn and size 8 needles.
I bought two skeins of yarn but wanted to only use one. Well I got to the end and the scarf was still too short. So I ended up using 1 1/3 skeins of yarn for this scarf.

Challenge: Learn to knit!!! Hold needles, Hold yarn and get a good tension, cast on stitches, knit stitch, cast off stitches (Officially called bind off stitches ;)
Now my mom did show me how to work a purl stitch, but I figured just getting the above down would be challenge enough.
Instructions: Cast on 27 stitches; Knit stitch until desired length; Bind Off stitches



Optional: Add Tassels if so desired

2nd Knitting Project (Yes, there is another)
Challenge: Use the Purl stitch and learn to read a Pattern

The day before Thanksgiving found me in Hancock Fabrics looking for material. I came across some skeins of yarn in a Clearance bin discounted 30%. What caught my eye was this Olive Suede yarn. I'm not sure how well the picture shows it but it's quite the green and I liked it.

While digging around, I came across a beautiful Navy Cashmere yarn. I couldn't resist, so I bought two skeins of the Olive and two of the Navy. Now to find a pattern. I didn't have to look far for a pattern. It was right there wrapped around the Navy yarn. The label had a model wearing a scarf with a basketweave pattern.
I pulled off the label and looked at the instructions on the back.
Requires 2 balls of yarn (Check)
Instructions: Cast on 20 Stitches (Can do & I liked the idea of a thinner scarf then the last one)
Rows 1, 3, 5: Knit 4 Purl 4 Knit 4 across
Rows 2, 4: Purl 4 Knit 4 Purl 4 across
Repeat until you've got your length
Pretty basic, this was perfect.

As excited as I was about the Olive, I chose to go with the Navy for this scarf.
Now the note book is to demonstrate that this wasn't an easy knit. I'm still learning to distinguish a knit stitch from a purl and rows from each other. So I made a mark every time I finished a row, that way I would know which number of row I was on. Trust me, I had a good start on this scarf before I found the necessity of this tracking system and had to undo 10 rows ( I think it was 10) to get back on track. And after all that, I still don't think it's easy to undo a knitting mistake. Hopefully with practice I'll be better able to recognize where I'm at in a project.
Here's a rather poor picture of the pattern. Sorry if it's hard to see. Just image what a basket weave pattern is and there you have this scarf. This only took me 6 days to complete, only because it was Thanksgiving Break and I wasn't feeling well for Saturday and Sunday. And when all you can do is sit, hand projects like knitting is the perfect thing to work on.
Side Note: This is the first time I worked with cashmere and boy is it nice. So soft it makes regular yarn feel rough in comparison. Just for the heck of it, I googled the cost of cashmere scarves. We talking $40 - $100.
And mine .... try $5.40 TOTAL So cool.....

Now what to do with the Suede yarn?

2 comments:

Amy Marble said...

I'd say it looks like you're getting the hang of it.

Danyelle Ferguson said...

Ooh! I need a scarf! Pick me! Pick me! :)