Tuesday, December 16, 2008

A New Scarf

Third time's the charm, Right?
I think so!
I would like to introduce you to the current love in my life.
(Silly way to phrase it but golly gee I love this scarf. )

The color was love at first sight, and the feel sealed the deal.
The design had been there in my head since I finished my first knitted scarf.
Last week I had my doubts when I tried casting on.
Thursday was really scary when I alternated between larger needles/hooks, knitting and then crocheting.
And when the yarn broke, oh such growling that ensued. But I was not going to be beat, so with a large crochet hook and a determination to not do anything fancy I began again.
At the end of the evening I had two rows and all I could think was
60's/70's/avocado green/retro
????
(a look I don't really see myself as).
Friday evening brought calm, and then a growing excitement
as I finished and stood up to try it on.
And then there was Saturday when I had a reason to wear it somewhere
(something I didn't do with the other two, they were just finished, admired, photographed and then folded away, while my eyes & mind wondered to the next possibility in the way of scarves, shameless I know)

So from the personal collection of Amy A, I introduce you to:
Long & Skinny
(NO smart alec remarks about how it's the opposite of me: short and ... you know not skinny;)
Now with most scarves, their width folds over while sitting on my shoulders/neck. This double thickness pushes my head forward and I feel like I am always staring at the ground.
What a kink in the neck!
And If I dare wrap the scarf around my neck to keep warm, it makes me claustrophobic and I'm even more "chin to the chest".

Now with Long and Skinny, I can wrap that scarf around me, creating a cowl look. My head stays up straight, unless the winds blowing then everyone is ducking their head. I'm warm, can breath and feel oh so stylish!


For those interested in the Pattern:
(It's really simple and the idea came from here - Laughing Purple Goldfish)
Using a size N crochet hook, chain a LONG chain (measure the length you personally want for yourself - mine almost touched the floor ... standing!!!)
Once you get your length, 1st row: sc in 2nd stitch from hook and sc to end of chain.
2nd row: chain 1, sc to end
repeat until you have the width you want, mine turned out to be 8 rows.
Optional fringe: you can add it after you finish the scarf
OR like me (lazy) : at the end of each row leave a tail before beginning the next row. When you're done, cut the loops, tie together and there you have it.

What's really cool, I only used 1 skein of yarn!!!!
And I got it done before the first Snow Fall (and boy is the snow falling now!)

(FYI: While knitting the first scarf, I had the thought to see if I could get it done before it snowed. So you can image my excitement at getting three done before it snowed.)

5 comments:

Danyelle Ferguson said...

That scarf is gorgeous! I love the color too! It looks like you're really getting the hang of knitting. Go, Amy!

Danyelle Ferguson said...

OK - for some reason your blog won't let me comment on the It's Done post. So I'm commenting here . . . YEAH AMY!!!! YOU DID IT!

I bet you are sooo happy to have it done. It looks fabulous on her.

Amy said...

Thanks Danyelle,

I am very excited to have the dress done. It was fun. Now on to the rest of X-mas gifts.

Amy Marble said...

The dress looks awesome! I'm sure that Lacey loved it - she better anyway! j/k

I'm liking the scarf too - one day when things slow down a bit I would love to learn how to make one.

How are the rest of the projects going by the way? Can you believe Christmas is next week - I'm not sure I'm ready. So much to do, so little time!

Amy said...

Amy, I would love to show you how to do the scarf. It's really simple once you get the two stitches down and honestly, chain stitch and single crochet are the first stitches you learn when you begin crocheting.

Christmas - Next Week, yikes I still haven't gotten Jeffrey's package sent off.