Monday, May 5, 2008

GRE - Testing more then just intelligence

Well, Saturday marked the first day of classes for my GRE Prep Course. I've been rather intimidated with the prospect of taking the GRE and what it means. Well, we got an hour's introduction regarding what to expect and then the rest of the time was set apart for a pre-test to determine where we are, weaknesses vs. strengths.

So how did I do?

Well, let's just say it's a good thing I decided to take the course before paying money to take the GRE and have my scores count. On the one hand, there wasn't any surprises. The test is made up of three sections, I summarize them as Reading, Writing and Arithmetic. In technical term, they are "Verbal & Reading Comprehension; Analytical Writing; and Quantitative Analysis.


So strength, Verbal & Reading Comprehension. That wasn't surprising considering my bookwormish tendencies since I learned to read. I'm always trying to challenge myself with reading, and usally have a book somewhere near my person.

Weakness: Math: Now I know I'm not very good with numbers but can I ask you, did the program have to be insulting about it. Really! How the test goes is if you answer a question correctly, the next question would be harder and if you answer it incorrectly, the next one is easier. So image how offended I was when the silly thing asked me what 2+2 was. Rude!!!!! Ok they may not have been that bad but how about this "There's this graph showing sales over a 10 year period, how many years did sales increase". Hmmm. Let's see, the line goes up 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 times." How insulting! It didn't help to read in my text book, "These are content areas usually studied in high school" High School!!!! - Why didn't they just have that annoying paperclip from Microsoft word jump up and mock me after I finished that portion of the test?

Now if Verbal/Reading was a "pat on the back" and Math got my "dander up", then Writing put "me to shame". You see we weren't required to write the two essays, because there would be no one to read and grade it. But we can practice if we want to. So I looked at both topics and "shamefully jumped ship". I skipped both of them. And like "Lord Jim" I've carried the shame of my decision with me, ever since. (like how I slipped int he literature reference, told you I read alot). Afterwards, I gave myself a serious lecture about not letting writing intimidate me. And to make sure I don't run from it again, I will practice writing an essay, using the topics given me, everyday. Well, mmmm, let's just say it sounds great in theory but I seem to still be running. But this has got to stop.........

Repeat after me : I can and will write! I will show that program a thing or two about Math! and I will love do it! And I won't get cocky about the verbal section. Got It? Let's hope so..... I mean Yes, Ma'm, Captain, sir!!!!

5 comments:

Katy said...

AMY! I just found your blog and am I totally excited!!! Hahahaha! It made me laugh really hard too--way to rock the verbal! I never got a super great grasp on the whole this is to...like that is to... I'm bookmarking your blog right now! Hey are you planning on attending poetry night?

Amy said...

Katy,
Thanks for the bookmark, it'll keep me writing so you don't get to bored with me. ;) Haven't heard anything about poetry night.

Danyelle Ferguson said...

Amy,

You are so funny! At the same time, I can totally see you processing the outcome of the test, then sitting down at your computer to write this post.

You can do it, girl! And when you do, you can move to Kansas and hang out with me for your Masters program! :)

Amy said...

Danyelle,

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I'm going to need all I can get to get through the next 5 weeks.

Carly said...

I love your writing! Look at you go. You CAN write (come on, just read your own blog...). I wish I was in Provo and I'd give you some writing tips. I've done a lot of thinking and practicing writing this year with my AP Lang and Comp kids. You'll do great. I like you plan to write a lot--that is the key. Good luck!