Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Trying to regain a Special Place

This last weekend I spent organizing my shed. During the winter it became a catch-all for all my boxes and excess furniture. With the weather getting nice and rumors of family invasions for the next few months, I decided I better organize it into a workable space. That way I can lay out sewing projects without having to clean up the mess. Funny isn't it, you try to be creative and all others see is there is no safe place to step or sit in the Family Room. Shocking I know. ;)

So Saturday was spent sifting and sorting and by the end of it, I was pretty discouraged. Too much stuff!!! How did this place become more of a storage shed then Amy's Secret Hideaway. Monday morning I attacked with renewed vigour and some peppy music. This time I forced myself to go through every box and really look at what was in it. So much paper!!!!! The boxes got sorted into subject matters, Sewing, Cosmetology, Books, etc.... Thankfully the fun subjects had more in it then the boring regular stuff. Then when I put it back into boxes, the boxes got labeled. I had no idea I had two file boxes worth of just "office supplies" stuff, papers, files etc. Who knew I was such a sucker for office supply stores? ... Ok I did, there just so many cool ways to organize yourself.... but no more shopping until I've used what I already have.

That goes for fabric too. One wall has shelves on it just for fabric boxes. And I still had 2 boxes of fabric, with no place to go.... oh wait that's four boxes cause of the two that got brought into the house for my purse projects. AHHHHHHHHH Believe it or not I haven't been into a fabric store for at least 7 months. And I won't be until I've made a serious dent in my fabric stash. There's just no more room.

6 hours later and it was looking good, it still had a storage shed look with boxes lining all my walls, but my two tables were generally clear, .... clear enough to work on at least. And my reading chair was clear and nicely positioned. I even tried it out later that evening. So nice to sit and read, tucked away from the rest of the world.

Once upon a time (ok a couple of years ago) I had that shed set up really nicely. There are shelves (only about 6" wide) that are scattered on two of the walls. They are perfect for my books. And I had my whole library arranged by subject and authors. On this shelf was my nautical adventures, another, my juvenile lit., my romance, ones guaranteed to make me laugh every time, non-fiction.... etc. The third wall, next to the door has shelves that held my filing boxes (and all of them fit on that one wall) and the fourth wall has a windows that ran the length of it with a counter beneath it.

I was thinking of how it use to look, while I sat in my chair that night and thought, "How do I make it look like that again". Even now I am seriously contemplating taking the "storage" stuff and putting it on one side of my bedroom. It's not like I spend alot of time in there anyway and I really want to get my books out of the boxes I put them in last year, when I thought I was moving. Who knows maybe another weekend I will. Of course, I can always take my books back into the house and put them on the bookshelf I have in my bedroom..... Doesn't seem to have the same ambiance. I blame it on my reading of the Boxcar Children as a child, teenager... ok I read them now. Which reminds me, where has that set of mine been put?

3 comments:

Denna Marble said...

This blog thing is just the thing for you to show your creative writing genius. It is almost like looking inside your journal but more fun. Keep writing. It is always fun to read what you have written.

Amy Marble said...

I agree with what your Mom said - it is fun to read what you write. You are very creative! I'm wondering though, if since it's "Amy's Secret Hideaway" if I can come and escape there - I have a feeling I might need an escape... Maybe Freeman will let me use his shed that he's building as my hideaway - doubt it though.

Danyelle Ferguson said...

I totally wish I had a secret hideaway - especially now that my best friend lives all the way in Utah. Moving to Kansas put a huge dent in our Girls Night Out. (Yep, I'm talkin' about you, Ames!)

Since I've seen your hideaway, I know just how much fabric and how many books you have! I guess I shouldn't send out any gift cards to Joann's huh? ;-)