Monday, September 29, 2008

My Very First Sewing Machine

A week ago, my dear friend, Danyelle came to visit and after dinner on Friday night, we went over to JoAnns Fabric Store to look at sewing machines. I had told her that I had been seriously thinking of getting one, so she convinced me to go in and take a look at the Vikings. Now I'm a lousy shopper. I really don't like talking to sales people, mainly cause I never know what to ask them. I just like to look around, see if they have what I'm looking for and then buy or not depending on if it's worth it to me. Lucky, Danyelle isn't that way, so with her nudging occasionally, I was able to find out about one of the machines. Now since I had been thinking about it for awhile, I had a pretty good idea of what type of machine I was looking for. So after talking, we left, I liked the machine, but I knew of another store that was having a super sale on their machines and the one I had my eye on was $200 dollars less, not as many functions, but enough for me. So Saturday afternoon, instead of driving up to the store, I decided to first call and see if it was really what I wanted. And it was a good thing, cause they had sold the one I was interested in. So after more deliberation and my mom assuring me that I wasn't a spendthrift, (she's my sounding board for this type of purchases) we went down to the store.

It a mechanical sewing machine rather then a computerized. I did not want computerized. I wanted straightforward and simple. I do a lot of sewing but use very few stitches outside of straight and zig zag so I knew I didn't need all the bells and whistles. Along with that I didn't want to keep track of a lot of fancy feet. That's why this model works so well for me. It only had about 8 different feet, including the three I always use. What really sold me was it's one step buttonhole. I prefer basic techniques but when it comes to button holes, the easier and less steps involved is what I like. That would probably be my one luxury item.

Once I got home, I pulled out the owners manual, reviewed it and immediately pulled out a project to sew.


It's a Crochet hook carrier, made from a place mat. Really nifty and now I have a place to put my crochet needles.


So there it is, after years of sewing and at least 5 years of serious sewing, I finally have my very own sewing machine. I keep joking about naming it but can't come up with any Viking names I like. The closest female name is Vilhelmiina. What do you think? ;)

2 comments:

Danyelle Ferguson said...

I vote for Anna - it's a good strong, but feminine name. And it has to be viking somewhere, right? Every language and culture has an Anna.

Heck, I even named my youngest daughter, Anna.

I'm glad you decided to get the sewing machine. Yeah, Amy! And the most super awesome part, was that you saved up your money and paid in cash. You rock!

Katy said...

love it love it love it! Wahoo for getting sewing machines!